Last night was the long awaited premiere of the new television series Scandal starring Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope. Created by writer/producer, Shonda Rhimes (Grey’s Anatomy), the show follows Olivia Pope as a fixer of sorts-we’re talking crisis management at the highest stakes. I have to give it to them, they didn’t disappoint on scandal or drama. Equally exciting was that they delivered on beauty and style. Power separates that delivered a professional elegance, took Pope from morning to night, from the boardroom to the oval office. The show opened with a head-turning white trench and grey pants.
From beginning to end, Pope’s makeup and wardrobe definitely showed that less is more! Here’s a few beauty and style notes to take from last night’s episode.
- Subtle can be sexy. Eye shadow that pops and a hint of color on your cheeks goes a long way on creating a pulled together look. Shades of coral are particularly flattering on darker skin tones. A sweep of coral or orange will give you that wow factor.
- Mascara is a must! It makes you look alert! And really, have long, flirty lashes ever hurt anyone?
- Lipstick goes a long way! For the office, skip the gloss and try a a lasting lip color in matte or cream.
- Send an underlining message. Use a lip pencil to add subtle definition to your mouth. It helps keep that lip color in place, not to mention it’s a good look.
- Solids don’t have to be boring. The perfect blouse in a solid can make just as much of a statement as wearing print.
- Nude pumps are a must! You don’t have to rock stilettos to be sexy or fabulous!
- Not everything is black and white! When it comes to wearing neutrals, we now have multiple choices. Aside from the classic khaki, grey is an alternative that pairs well with soft, demure shades or bold pops of color. But it doesn’t stop there! You can use the same technique wearing a rich chocolate brown.
- A trench coat is everything. This is a classic that never goes out of style and when you wear it in an eye-catching color there’s only one word for your style: unstoppable!
Let’s just say Pope not only uncovered a scandal, but found herself in the middle of one. For a moment we weren’t sure if she was a good guy or a bad guy. Turns out, matters of the heart can make good people do some bad things and secrets…well, they always come to light. I won’t give any spoilers here. If you missed last night’s episode, you can download it on iTunes or online for free.
Did you see Scandal? What did you think?